Thursday, August 21, 2008

Nelmo!!

So many new things are happening here! A week or so ago I started asking Alex if he had "poo pooed." He would touch the back of his diaper and say "poo poo." and then say "no" even though sometimes he had. But Sunday while we were sitting eating dinner Alex looked at me and said "poo poo." I kind of ignored him because we had guests for dinner but he said it again a few minutes later. So I thought maybe he's serious so I took him into his room to change his diaper. It was clean so I got him dressed again and let him down to play. Not 2 minutes later was he standing in the kitchen all red faced and grunting. He has ALWAYS (as long as I can remember) done these things when he had to poop. It is soo funny, and you don't want to watch but it is just hilarious and you can't help but look. So John and I talked and thought maybe (keep in mind he's only 19 months old) he might be getting ready for potty training. Yesterday, I went to Target in search of a potty chair to go over the toilet at home. I DO NOT want to clean up a separate toilet. GROSS! We were in the toy aisle and Alex picked up an Elmo chatter doll. He carried it around the whole time we were in Target. He has been calling Elmo "nelmo," has a video of him, says his name when he sees him on his diapers or diaper box and loves to watch Elmo on Sesame Street, but he was really loving this doll. When I finally got to the potty section there was an Elmo potty chair. I knew we had to have it! I put it in the cart and he didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it (it was in a box) but he noticed it had Elmo on it. But boy when I got it home and set it up he was so excited! We read one book 3 times in the bathroom while he sat on it (with his clothes on). We have to go see Nelmo at least once an hour. I told him Nelmo had to stay on the potty and when he poo poos he can see him. This was Alex in the kitchen right after we got home and I was fixing his lunch. I don't think too much will be happening on this front for a while but we thought we could go ahead and get him acustomed to it. Believe me I'm not pushing him at all and I know he'll do it when he's ready-but I just had to share his love for Nelmo!


I love this picture with him smiling!

4 comments:

  1. It looks like he loves it. The picture of him sitting on it is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. alex is getting so big! it looks and sounds like life in tuscaloosa is treating your family well! how much do you miss being a teacher right now? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I love these pics. I hope that Alex continues to love 'Nelmo' to make the potty training easier. Good luck, and keep us all posted on how he's doing, but trust me, it can be so tiring keeping up with it!!!!

    ReplyDelete