Sunday, May 4, 2008

Healthy Sleep Habits

Alex wasn't sleeping much...I guess it was around 6 weeks or so. I'm not exactly sure. From that point on I got obsessed about his sleeping and how important naps were. My OB recommended this book to me. "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. It helped me a ton. I couldn't even put it down at first. It pretty much says that babies have periods of wakefulness 1-2 hrs long. After that you should see signs of tiredness. I started looking for them and I definitely saw them. Mostly at the beginning his sign was fussiness. If he fussed we put him to bed and he went to sleep on his own. Sometimes (and he still does) he will just lay in his crib and play and talk to himself and then go to sleep after 30 min. to an hour. Then it got to be if he rubbed his eyes or put his head down we put him down. I have a champion sleeper! I also think God blessed me because he knew I didn't have such an easy time physically after Alex was born and he cut me a break. :) I highly recommend this book to anyone who has a child, no matter what age. It has suggestions for all ages. Now we did let him cry it out some but it was just like Dr. Weissbluth said after just a few nights it was all over. At 9 weeks he slept from 7pm to 7am and he hasn't had any problems since then. Now I know after I post this he won't sleep for a week, but I'll take my chances. I hope this book helps someone else out there who may need it. Happy Sleeping!

6 comments:

  1. I read the book. The signs of a tired baby helped me. As for sleeping through the night..... we're almost at our 4 month mark, and counting! My child is obsessed with eating and can't make it too many hours without food. We even started cereal a little early. Sleep just isn't in my cards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel I am so glad you decided to do a blog!! Alex is just precious! It's been way to long since I've seen any pictures of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rachel!!! I am soo excited that you started a blog! I LOVE to blogstalk, so I'll be watching you!!!
    Alex is precious! I'm excited to get to see pictures of him regularly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea, 9 weeks? Dr Weissbluth can take credit for that!! :) Just kidding. YOu know I love that book too. And our kids slept great after about 5 months. But napped well before that.

    heart ya

    ReplyDelete