Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Big Bed!

We went to the beach the 2nd week in February for about a week. I wasn't going to start the big bed transition until after we got back. Alex had never tried to crawl out of his packnplay or his crib so there was no safety issue. But one night at the beach, I think it was the 2nd day we were there, we put him down for a nap and then we hear the bedroom door open and he walks out into the living room. It was the craziest thing! I put him back in the packnplay and had him show me how he got out. I mentioned it in an earlier post that he was like a little gymnast and he just flipped over the side rail and landed on his head. So that was the end of the packnplay and we had to do the big bed. He did pretty well at the beach. We had the first few nights of him coming to visit us a few times in the middle of the night (and we couldn't let him cry at all because Russell and Nan's bedroom was right beside his) but the last night we were there he stayed in the bedroom the entire night. Since we've been home he's stayed in his room until somebody comes in to get him. We told him at the beach that he had to stay in the room until momma or daddy came and got him. He kept repeating, "momma daddy come getch you" and shaking his head like he knew exactly what we were talking about.

This is the first time he's done this. I went and checked on him last night before I went to bed and this is how I found him. Laying on the floor right by his nightlight.

Back in bed.

This is how I find him in the mornings. He gets all of his toys out of his closet and plays. I put all of his toys in there so he won't be tempted to play all night long instead of sleep so there is a doorknob cover on his closet door so he can't get into it. Before we go to bed one of us goes and opens the closet door for him to be able to play in the morning.

Nap time is a different story. Right now about every 2-3 days he takes a nap. At first he would just sit in there and pull out all of his books and puzzles and play for 2 hours. I emptied his bookshelf so he can't get to anything now but he'll now just sit in there and turn on the light and the fan and play with the blinds and whatever else he can find. The other day he got his shoes out of the bottom drawer of his dresser and made this. When I walked in to get him he said, "Look momma, choo choo train!" He was so proud of himself. Anytime he lines something up like this it is always a train. So for now the only thing we are still working on is the naps. I'm open to suggestions about nap time!:)

3 comments:

  1. I love the pic of him asleep by his night light. Too cute!!

    I want to see a belly picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Alex!! He is so cute and looking at these pictures and knowing his personality is great! I especially love the one of the "shoe shoe train".

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sounds JUST like Trey when we made that transition. One nap time idea that sort of worked for Trey for awhile were nap rules. One morning we talked about what the rules were for nap (no playing with toys, stay in bed, close your eyes, etc.) and we made a little poster with illustrations on it. We also talked about what would happen if he broke the nap rules (no more toys in the bedroom). We went over them several times during the day, especially right before nap so I knew that he understood them. It worked great until I realized that somedays he really was better not having napped at all, and I selfishly gave up the nap rules so that he would nap on days he needed to and just have "rest time" on the others. He only takes naps about half the time now, but he has an earlier bedtime and he does have to have quiet time in his room for at least 2 hours every day. Good Luck!!!! The pics are adorable, by the way!

    ReplyDelete