Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Crash

Three weeks ago tomorrow was one of the scariest days of my life. We were driving along and a light turned yellow. I went through it and a lady turned left in front of me on her yellow light. I was probably going 45 or 50 mph. I had Alex and Avery in the car. All I remember seeing and thinking at that moment was her car was in front of me and I knew I was about to hit her. The airbag deployed from my steering wheel and we spun and came to a stop. I was fine, but Alex was crying in the backseat. I looked back quickly and knew he was ok. I got out, taking a quick look at Avery knowing she looked fine but wasn't making any noise. I grabbed Alex out of his car seat and immediately saw red scrapes on both sides of his neck where his car seat straps went over his shoulders. He was scared and kept saying, "mommy, our car just broke, but Daddy can fix it." Sweet boy, I don't think he can but we'll see.:) We ran around to Avery's side and looked at her and she just smiled. At that moment, I thanked God and was relieved we were all ok. At least it seemed at the moment, but I wasn't going to be 100% reassured until we were checked out at the hospital. There was a girl walking across to the river walk who saw it and called 911. She came and checked on us. A lady we know from the bank came and took Alex to her car to read some books that we had gotten earlier in the day at the library. I looked at the car and knew it would be totalled. I called John who came immediately and my brother was in town on business. He came also. The paramedics came over and looked at Alex and Avery. We didn't even take her out of her car seat because she was just grinning at everyone and never even cried. My chest was beginning to hurt. The lady in the other car was taken out on a board with a neck brace. She is thankfully, ok too. Having my kids in the car made it so much scarier for me. I'm so thankful to God everyday for protecting us all and just wished I hadn't gone through that light. I have learned my lesson and hopefully it will not be forgotten.:) I don't go through yellow lights anymore. Our children are so precious to John and I and you hear people say how quickly it can be taken away but you don't really think about it, until, of course, it happens to you. Avery doesn't have a mark on her, Alex's marks fade a little more everyday and my bruises and pain are gone completely. And I know that I can only thank Him for watching over us and protecting us.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, Rachel! This is awful! I'm so thankful you, Alex, and Avery are okay! Glory to God! It IS good to know that He is watching over every moment, protecting us in all situations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I am so glad all of you are okay. I got chills reading your post. I can't imagine how scary that must have been. This is a good reminder for me to slow down and not be in such a hurry every where we go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RACH! I had no idea you had a wreck! I literally teared up when I saw those pictures. I am so glad you guys were okay. I know that had to be so scarey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I am so glad that you all are okay! You definitely had God and His angels watching over you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your heart, Rachel. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad y'all are okay!!!

    ReplyDelete